Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The end of an era


It was sad to see it go.

My very first car (ok, actually my second, but this was the first one I bought for myself).

It all started when I graduated from nursing school in 2001. I had saved a little bit of money from the summer working as a graduate nurse and as an RN when I passed my NCLEX exam. My parents called me one day and said they were at the car dealership and were looking at the car I'd always wanted. A convertible mustang. So it wasn't the color I was dreaming of (I wanted a pewter one with a black top) but this was an end of the year model on loner for a homecoming parade and my parents could get a good deal on it. So I bought a red convertible mustang, unseen, on the words of my parents. I recall my dad said if I didn't want it he was going to get it. After sending a money order from my bank it was a done deal. My parents drove the car up to Gainesville the following weekend. I love that car, I know it is silly to love a car, but it was a great car to drive around in in FL with the top down and radio on.
That car made lots of trips between Tampa and Gainesville from 2001-2005 while I alternately lived in and visited both cities in order to finish my PhD and be with Josh in Tampa. It drove us away after our wedding reception in 2003. When we moved to Birmingham in 2005 it came with us and I drove back and forth to Tuscaloosa for a year between 2006-2007.

Then came Luke. Now I have seen carseats in the back of a mustang, but since it was a convertible it just didn't seem like it was the safest or best option to drive a baby around. So, in October 2007 the mustang became Josh's car. I rarely drove it since I was usually going somewhere with Luke. Josh, not being a fan of the convertible top, never really appreciated the mustang in the same way I did. It started to get old. Paint was missing on the front end and hood from all the miles and flying rocks on the highway, the leather interior had begun to crack. It was showing its age. While we never had any major issues mechanically with the car (it pays to get regular maintenance!) with baby #2 coming and Josh needing to drive all over Atlanta and beyond for work now it just didn't make sense to keep a nearly 10 year old mustang convertible.

Don't cry for me though, this story has a happy ending. In July, Josh and I purchased a new Traverse so we can tow around both our boys and have room for visiting family and friends. As for the mustang, my parents ended up with it! After an arrangement trading a washer and dryer for the car, my parents are now the proud owners of a red mustang convertible...in need of a little TLC. I am so happy that the car is still in the family and I love how my parents make a point to tell me how they each drive it and whenever they can they drive with the top down. It is being restored to its days of glory and I can visit it in FL.

No comments: